Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Little Things

    I love my job!  I teach Kindergarten and 1st grade students with special needs.  Each day, I get to work with kids that each have unique, individual outlooks on life.   There are definitely days that are more difficult than others.   There are times that my job can be frustrating.  Sometimes, my kids and I go a really long time without seeing any progress.   We work and work with very little to show for our efforts.   There are times that a child's inability to control their behavior or difficult home situation breaks your heart.   Then there are days like today, days when God reminds me exactly why he has called me to my job.   Today was Awards Day at school.    During Awards days, our school recognizes students for their outstanding academic progress.    One of the jobs assigned to a student is saying the Pledge of Allegiance.    A couple weeks ago a teacher approached me about having one of my students say the pledge.  I immediately said "yes, lets give it a try!"   I am all for providing my students with opportunities to shine!  The student we picked for the job is a little boy who will warm your heart.   When he first came to our school, he had a difficult time behaving and participating in school activities.   He has come so far this year!  Just the fact that he was able to stand in front of the audience and say the Pledge was a huge accomplishment for this child, but not only did he do a great job saying the pledge, he walked up when they called his name and then returned to his seat when he finished.  Plus, he did all this with a smile on his face and an obvious sense of pride in what he had done!  In addition to my friend saying the pledge, I got to watch all my other friends receive well deserved awards!   The smiles on their faces warmed my heart.  Each and every one of them was so proud of themselves, and I could not be prouder of the work they have done this year!   I am so grateful to my kids for providing me with the little things that make me smile!   I will miss them this summer, but I know they will enjoy their break. 

4 comments:

  1. I especially love this post! I'm also a teacher {currently job searching though}. It's amazing how attached you become to the children and how you love them as if they were your own. You only want the very best for them, and you'll do everything in your power to make that happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren,

    You truly live up to your "Momma" nickname in every way. You are a great Momma to the fab, to Duncan and your puppy, and to your precious children at school. It's neat to watch your caring spirit grow into a professional capacity as well. Can't wait to see y'all this weekend!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. and by Duncan i meant...Dunkin. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren- you are so cut out for your job, that is sucha sweet post! I had NO IDEA you had a blog till today! YAH! I can't wait till it is filled with day to day Dunkin!!!

    ReplyDelete